Greek Turkey Meatballs
We love Greek and Mediterranean food and make it every chance we get. I make them with ground turkey and lots of shredded zucchini, and they were so moist and flavorful! These Greek Turkey Meatballs, also known as keftedes, are traditionally made with lamb or beef. For more Greek-inspired recipes try Spiralized Greek Cucumber Salad, Naked Greek Turkey-Feta Burgers, and Chicken Kebab Salad, to name a few.
What are Greek turkey meatballs made of?
These healthy ground turkey meatballs are filled with popular Greek ingredients for maximum flavor.
- Ground Turkey: 93% lean ground turkey
- Vegetables: Grated zucchini, red onion
- Binders: Whole wheat bread, seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs, and egg help these meatballs stick together.
- Herbs, Seasonings, & Aromatics: Fresh oregano, parsley, and spearmint, salt, pepper, and garlic
How to Make Greek Turkey Meatballs
I pan fried these meatballs, but they are also terrific on the grill. The meatballs are a bit delicate because of the moisture that the zucchini adds. They don’t hold their round shape, so they will look more like mini patties (their shape also helps it cook in the center). Refrigerating the meat before cooking helps hold them together if you want to grill them.
How to Meal Prep and Freeze Meatballs
This Greek turkey meatball recipe is great for make-ahead meals. They will last in the fridge for up to four days, and you can add them to salads, sandwiches, or bowls throughout the weeks. These Greek Chicken Meal Prep Rice Bowls would be excellent with meatballs. You can also freeze cooked meatballs for up to 3 months. Thaw them overnight in the fridge and microwave until warm.
What to Serve with Greek Turkey Meatballs
My favorite sauce for Greek turkey meatballs is healthy tzatziki, made with Greek yogurt. Here are some ideas for serving these meatballs and sauce.
- Greek Turkey Meatball Bowls: Serve over rice or orzo with cucumber, tomatoes, feta, and kalamata olives.
- Pita: Make a sandwich and add tomato and lettuce for a healthy gyro.
- As a Main: Some side dish ideas are roasted cauliflower, Greek Mac and Cheese, or Mediterranean Bean Salad
- As an Appetizer: Add a dollop of tzatziki to each meatball.
- Add to a Salad: Top any Greek salad with the meatballs.
Greek Turkey Meatball Variations:
- Meat: Swap turkey for ground chicken.
- Herbs: Swap any of the herbs with dill, basil, or marjoram.
- Spices: Add crushed red pepper to make them spicy.
- Vegetables: Sub grated zucchini for frozen chopped spinach, thawed with all the liquid squeezed out.
More Meatball Recipes You’ll Love:
Greek Turkey Meatballs
Greek Turkey Meatballs slathered with Tzatziki sauce, great over rice, with chickpea salad or served as an appetizers. Also great for make-ahead meal prep lunch.
- 1.25 lbs 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 cup grated zucchini, liquid squeezed out well
- 2 slices whole wheat bread, or gluten-free bread
- 1/4 cup seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs, or gluten-free panko
- 1 large egg
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 red onion, grated (I used my mini food processor)
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped (less if using dry)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh spearmint, chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- olive oil cooking spray
Wet bread with water, squeezing excess out. Tear into small pieces and place in a large bowl.
Combine with turkey, egg, zucchini, breadcrumbs, garlic, onion, mint, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper.
Using a 1/4 cup measure, form each meatball 1/4 cup in size, slightly flattened into patties. For best results, refrigerate before cooking to help hold their shape.
In a pan: spray olive oil in a large nonstick frying pan and cook over very low heat, until cooked through, turning halfway, about 5 to 6 minutes on each side. (or you can bake 350F 20-25 minutes).
On the grill: clean grill well before cooking and spray grate with oil. Cook on low until cooked through, about 5 minutes on each side.
Note, you can use more crumbs and omit the bread or visa-versa.
Serving: 4meatballs, Calories: 254kcal, Carbohydrates: 13.5g, Protein: 27g, Fat: 11g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Fiber: 3.5g
Keywords: greek meatballs recipe, greek turkey meatballs, greek turkey meatballs with tzatziki sauce, ground turkey recipes